City of Chignik

Timeline


  • Late 1700s - Original village of Kalwak destroyed during the Russian fur boom
  • Late 1800s - Chignik established as a fishing village and cannery
  • 1896 - Hume Brothers and Pacific Steam Whaling Company build canneries in Chignik
  • 1905 - Northwest Fisheries Company purchases both canneries but closes the Hume Bros. complex
  • 1910 - Columbia River Packers Association builds plant at the mouth of Indian Creek
  • 1932-1933 - Neither plant in operation during the Great Depression
  • 1941 - Alaska Packers Association buys Columbia River Packers Association cannery
  • ?? - SeaCatch
  • ??  - Aleutian Dragon Fisheries
  • 1983 - City of Chignik incorporated
  • ​1994 - New School Built
  • 1998 -  Norquest Seafoods purchases cannery
  • 2004 - Trident Seafoods purchases  cannery
  • 2012 - Small Boat Harbor ready for use

The village of Chignik (meaning "big winds") was established in the late 1800's as a fishing village and cannery.  The town still relies heavily on a large run of salmon that come to spawn in the Chignik River for subsistence and for commercial fishing.    


Chignik is one of seventeen villages that lie in the Lake and Peninsula Borough.  The city is home to Chignik Bay School which currently has twelve students enrolled.    Lake and Peninsula School District is located in King Salmon, along with the Borough office.


Approximately 60 residents call Chignik their year round home, but in the summer time the population explodes with cannery workers and commercial fishermen.  The state-owned ferry Tustumena stops in Chignik every other week from May through September. 


You can find more information about our community from the State of Alaska's website in the Division of Community and Regional Affairs section. 

Click here for DCRA statistics.





 


About Us